The original Skull and Bones Daisy Cutter was released in 2010 and is the stuff of legends. If you are one of the lucky few to have smoked one, you got on the ground floor of one of the most successful limited edition lines in the cigar industry; Viaje’s Skull and Bones series. I have had a number of the Skull and Bones series and all of the entries I have had have been excellent. Let’s see how this cigar compares to the legendary original.
- This version of the Daisy Cutter was released in 2017.
- The blend in the 2017 version is slightly different from that of the 2010 original.
- The 2017 version of the Daisy Cutter marks the 30th cigar in the Skull and Bones series.
- Blend Information:
- Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
- Binder: Nicaraguan
- Filler: Nicaraguan
- Size: 4 x 54
- I got this cigar from Jason Nelson from Whisky Baron
Songs and Review:
Much like other entries in the Skull and Bones series, the Daisy Cutter is full in every respect. Full flavour, body and strength are well balanced and deliver all the way to the nub. Even though a 4 x 54 cigar might not seem like a longer smoke, the cigar will take you over an hour. So, sit back and enjoy the following song list.
- The cigar roars out of the gate with coffee and espresso notes wrapped within a huge spice kick. This initial ten minutes lays the foundation for a full throttle cigar experience. The song I chose to match this energised beginning is Happy Idiot by T.V. on the Radio. This song’s percussion and guitar work well with the beginning of this cigar.
- After the initial kick of the first ten minutes or so, the cigar settles into a rich coffee and cocoa finish. The spice note, which was so prominent in the beginning, is largely in the background and at times non – existent. I love Viaje’s use of rich dark notes in their cigars, and how well they balance those against body and strength. This portion of the Daisy Cutter kicks off a block of reggae tracks, which will last to the end of the song list. Let’s get this kicked off with Bob Marley’s youngest son, Damian Marley. He has just put out a record and was featured on one of Jay Z’s new tracks. The song we will feature is Damian’s new track Here We Go.
- Raw cocoa and rich coffee / espresso notes continue to pair very well with the rich and deep body of the cigar. Even though the spice note is largely gone, the cigar’s strength gives it the kick it needs to stand up to the rich body and full flavour notes. This is an excellent cigar and kicking back with some reggae is going really well. Since we have heard from Damian, it is time to hear from his dad, Bob Marley. Most people think of Bob Marley as an easy going “One Love” reggae hero; however, Bob had a sharp social justice and political edge to his music. I chose to highlight the socially active side of his music with the track Them Belly Full (But We Hungry).
- Earlier in the song list we talked about how Damian Marley is featured on the Jay – Z track Bam. What you may not know, is that Jay – Z’s track is inspired by a classic reggae track by Sister Nancy called Bam Bam. Much like how the 2017 version of the Daisy Cutter is a slightly tweaked cover of the original, Jay – Z’s track Bam is an updated version of Sister Nancy’s original. Let’s hear Sister Nancy’s smokin’ track Bam Bam.
- Finally, the cigar finishes with the core cocoa and espresso notes, but a lovely dark sweetness comes in to give the cigar a flourish, which keeps you interested in the finish. Moreover, it was nice to have some sweetness to counter such rich and earthly flavours. Draw and construction are impeccable and the you can smoke the cigar all the way down. A great way to finish this cigar off is with some Peter Tosh, so let’s listen to some I Am That I Am.
Viaje’s 2017 Skull and Bones Daisy Cutter is everything a Viaje fan wants from Andre’s cigars. Full flavour, full body and full strength are all expertly balanced and produce a unique cigar experience. In my opinion, Andre, Skip from RoMa Craft and James from BLTC are the best in the industry at blending full cigars and producing unique cigar experiences. Moreover, construction and draw are excellent, which allows you to enjoy this cigar at a smooth and easy pace. All and all, the 2017 Daisy Cutter is an excellent cigar that Skull and Bones fans need to hunt down.